Yesterday, August 22, 2006, a talk or forum was held at the Prieto Hall. They said that it started at ten o’clock in the morning but I arrived around eleven
because my last class dismissed us super late. The forum is basically about global climate change. The speaker told us and talked about the changes of the climate around the world.
At first, I was in shocked as I entered the room and saw that it was full of people who were listening intensively to the speaker. So I glanced at the speaker and my emotion completely changed. The speaker, I wasn’t able to get her name due to my tardiness, was around late thirty, I think. Ordinary looking. Verbally, when I heard her talking, I was in awe. She talked so well! It’s like she’s so used to talking in front of a lot of people and really know what she’s talking about. She had this accent and talked fluently in English. Nonverbally, she exudes inviting, accommodating and persuasion in her aura. She uses her hands a lot to explain what she’s saying. She has great eye contact also which makes the audience listen to her more intently. As I just said, since she clearly knows a lot about the topic, she appeared to be confident, comfortable, and well adjusted to the audience.
The venue was comfortable depending on where you were seated. If you were early and had a chair all by yourself then good for you, but for late comers like me, we had no choice but to sit in the floor and endure the little space we have. The forum was quite long, from 10-12:30 which affected some of the people who didn’t eat breakfast and was hungry already and so they experienced physiological noise. Physical noise was also present due to some of the audience were whispering to one another. Her channel or medium of communication, which is the most important, was her voice and the microphone which made her voice louder so the whole room can hear what’s she’s saying. The audio-visual aids the speaker was using showed pictures and graphs which helped us, the audience understand better what’s she’s saying. Without it, the audience would be lost and she might also forget what she must say next.
The audience had great feedback. Everybody reacted when she said or asked something and listened intensively to every word of what she’s saying, but when the time came when it was around twelve o’clock almost one third of the audience left. Maybe because they had twelve-thirty classes and had to eat lunch already.
For me, the speaker is really informative and very convincing. She has great verbal and nonverbal skills. She is confident but at the same time sensitive to the audience. Her message had a purpose to not only inform but also persuade and lastly it was backed up with facts. Therefore, yes, I think the speaker is a worthy endeavor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment